- Fields of work
- Policy Guidelines and Tools
- Climate Change & Tourism
- Ecotourism and Protected areas
- Poverty Reduction
- Tourism and Wetlands
- Cultural Heritage
- Rural and Community-based tourism
- Cooperation and Global Initiatives
- Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria and Council (GSTC)
- Tour Operators’ Initiative for Sustainable Tourism Development (TOI)
- Global Partnership for Sustainable Tourism (GPST)
- Global Observatory on Sustainable Tourism (GOST)
- The UNWTO, member of the UN-Water
- International Task Force on Sustainable Tourism Development (ITF-STD)
- Tourism Sustainability Group (TSG)
- Collaboration with UNESCO-World Heritage Centre
- Contact us
Rio+20 - United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD)
20 June 2012 - 22 June 2012
Rio de Janeiro
The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD) took place in Brazil on 20-22 June 2012 to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), in Rio de Janeiro, and the 10th anniversary of the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) in Johannesburg. It is envisaged as a Conference at the highest possible level, including Heads of State and Government or other representatives. The Conference resulted in a focused political document.
As Rio+20 approaches, UNWTO is coming together with UN sister agencies, industry leaders and civil society to ensure that tourism remains firmly on the journey towards global sustainable development.
To see UNWTO's leaflet on Rio+20 please click here
We are pleased to inform you that UNWTO will be co-organizing the following side events at Rio+20:
- Tuesday, 19 June 2012, from 14h00 to 18h00: Side event on Green Innovation in Tourism – organized by UNWTO, UNEP and OECD, with support from CNC-SESC-SENAC (Brazil), the Ministry of Tourism (Brazil) and SKY media.
- Wednesday, 20 June 2012, from 11h00 to 12h30: Side event on Tourism for a Sustainable Future – organized by UNWTO and the Ministry of Tourism of Brazil in cooperation with the UN Steering Committee on Tourism for Development (SCTD).
UNWTO will be active supporters and participants in a number of other activities at Rio+20, e.g. the UN Global Compact Corporate Sustainability Forum, a SIDS-related event/exhibition, and High-level roundtables.
For more information please visit Rio+20 website: http://www.uncsd2012.org